Decorator's Notebook with Gorgi and Resene
Get inspired with fabulous decorating ideas for your home combining Gorgi products and styling with favourite Resene paint colours...
Smoke [smoke] A smoldering grey tone that sits quietly and sedately in your bedroom interior.
- Inspired by nature's earth tones.
- A warm neutral that sits comfortably with other analogous colour such as black, charcoal, brown, lighter grey hues and taupe, or as a backdrop to considered accents in saturated colour including navy, teal or ochre.
- Smoke Linen Duvet Set - the base cloth: [that is the fabric that we use as a backdrop to other products on the top of the bed and also within the room.]
- Style direction - the fabric family. [fabrics that we use to add layers and interest to the base cloth]. Try products featuring textured cloth e.g., linen - Gorgi's white, natural or ink navy linen oxfords with their natural slubs and loose weave make these a perfect accessory], or Gorgi's quilts in black and white pinstripe or charcoal velvet.
4.a. Style direction - accent fabrics: we recommend Gorgi's Oversized Velvet Cushions in colours moss, charcoal, navy, or for added dimensional texture try Gorgi's Wool Black and White Thatch Cushion.
- Style direction - furniture. and accessories. Keep furniture simple - pared back, choose lighter timber finishes e.g., oak, ply, beech, even recycled and up-cycled timber pieces. Incorporate natural fibres where possible, large oversized woven baskets or chunky jute (or hemp) rugs. Shown above is the Nest Rug in Charcoal by Armadillo Rugs collection available from www.theivyhouse.co.nz. Mix with recycled glass or ceramic cylinders and jars in light tints to maintain a softer feel - the image above shows large Spanish Jar and Genie Lidded ceramic vessel from www.freedomfurniture.co.nz. Artwork can be your statement piece as desired, here you can choose colour, graphic bold prints or illustrations in a gentle palette of earth tones - as shown Owl artwork by Kelly Thompson – Illustrator.
- Style direction – lighting. Look for pendants with interesting yet simple finishes such as the ceramic pendant shown by Resident or table lamps such as the iconic De Lucchi Fassina Tolomeo Neck Lamp.
- Resene Wall Colours. We selected a simple analogous palette of Resene colour to complement our Smoke Collection. Statement walls can be painted out in Resene Foundry (a Gorgi all time favourite); if you have a large space then you could paint all walls. Note: with a smaller space take care with strong colour as this can make the room appear smaller. With a smaller space or to keep it simple paint the walls in Resene Triple Truffle or Resene Double Barely There. When using lighter colour keep your window sills at half strength or maintain colour right through to retain a contemporary look to your interior.
Gentry [Gen. try] in earlier times was the term prescribed to nobility, to the rank of the gentleman whose demeanour was demonstrated in part by their personal attire.
- A collection inspired by the classic suit with its set of garments crafted from the same cloth to achieve a structured yet sartorial style.
- A collection for those who appreciate simplified lines and palettes of post-revolutionary gentlemen’s wear in blue, grey and white colourways.
- Gentry Duvet Cover Set [the base cloth]: [that is the fabric that we use as a backdrop to other products on the top of the bed and also within the room.] Constructed in navy drill with contrast white satin piping detail and covered buttons. The reverse backing is a 'finishing lining' and fully reversible for simple change out options.
- Style direction – the fabric family: [the fabrics we use to add layers and interest to the base cloth]. Luxe velvets as seen in Gorgi's Oversized Charcoal, Moss and or Navy Velvet Cushions, Gorgi's Black and White Pinstripe Oxfords and Bed Quilts, for stark white contrast add Gorgi's Gentry Insignia Printed Oxfords by NZ Artist Penny Stotter, and Gorgi's Charcoal Wool Cushions and Ottomans for warmth and mood in the winter months.
- Style direction – furniture: Look for furniture in walnut or oak timbers, modern or vintage in style. The warmth in these wood finishes work beautifully against the mood and drama created by the depth of colour in the duvet and paint colour selections. Mid century or vintage pieces are a perfect fit however take care to work with similar timber finishes in chair, table legs etc to achieve a level of formality and consistency in the room. Featherston chairs are a great match with button detailing similar to that found in the detailing of the duvet cover, they also hark to an earlier era of aesthetic elegance.
- Style direction – lighting: Choose standing and table lamps simple in form, again replica or mid century pieces work perfectly with a mix of contrast wood and painted or fabric shades., alternatively neck lamps in weathered nickle finishes offer classic detail. Katie Brown's handblown glass pendants suspended above side tables or in an cluster of three or four centered to the room will add simple NZ born style.
- Style direction – accessories: Floor mirrors are an essential ingredient for the well groomed individual, wood or aged metal frames work equally as well look for tilt rather than wall fixed options. Wall art – monochromatic typographic prints, poster or print art, combinations in various sizes and contrast black on white or white on black, also look for large scale pieces to sit on the floor in addition to wall hung.
Ikebana [Ik: e: ba :na] The art of Japanese flower arrangement, with formal display according to strict rules.
- A collection inspired by nature and its texture and spontaneity.
- A collection for grown ups and those growing up.
- Ikebana Linen Duvet Cover Set – the base cloth: [that is the fabric that we use as a backdrop to other products on the top of the bed and also within the room.]
- Style direction – the fabric family: [fabrics that we use to add layers and interest to the base cloth]. Try products featuring textured cloth e.g. linen - Gorgi's white or natural linen Oxfords with their natural slubs and loose weave make these a perfect accessory.
- Style direction – accent fabrics: [as seen in Gorgi's oversized Velvet Scatter Cushions in colours Moss and Mustard.] Moss - a warm green-gold is a tonal combination and offers warmth and colour to the top of the bed, on a sofa or occasional chair. Mustard - a gorgeous yellow-gold hue that offers an injection of intelligent colour.
- Style direction – furniture: Keep furniture simple, pair with light wood finishes e.g., oak, ply, beech. Choose pieces that are offer structure yet retain balance, look for clean lines with minimal confusion in shape and form.
- Style direction – lighting: Organic in shape, almost origami like. Also try simple cylinder or drum shades in textured fabrics such as Gorgi's natural linen for ambience.
To see more Gorgi products, visit their website